Posted: Jun 16 2015, 03:45 PM

talya aquila
sector: civilian
job: student
species: human
playby: sarah hyland
alias: cedar
timezone: pst
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TWO YEARS OLD
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Tan! Tan! Tan!” Talya raced after her brother, her chubby toddler’s legs carrying her as fast as she could go. She couldn’t say his name right but they were already best friends; he didn’t care anyway. She was two, Talon was eight. These moments were rare these days, moments where her brother seemed truly happy. Of course, she was too young to distinguish this at the time. All she knew was sometimes, he was fun. They were inseparable. Their mother was working. But who needs a mother when you have a brother?

YOU SPRINKLE STARDUST ON MY PILLOWCASE

Talya's life has always been easy in the way of comfort. She comes from a well-to-do family. Her dad was a mechanical engineer before he died. Her mom worked in a lab as a biologist (still does) so Talya never saw much of her. As far as a mother figure goes, she had a nanny up until she was eight and Talon was fourteen. She was always outgoing, giving everyone a run for their money. Always on her feet, always on the go. Constantly changing, always finding something new to love. Still the one thing that remained constant was her relationship with her brother. When she was little, they were almost never apart. She was only one when their dad died in the accident so she didn't remember him, mostly blurry memories of a tall, warm figure who made her feel safe. Memories that were more like a dream of a dream. That's where Talon came in. He was definitely a father figure, but more just someone who she loved from very early on. Everything she knew (well, most of what she knew), she learned from him. Like how to operate her iDevice and how to swim. And how to read. Reading is one of her favorite things to do, because of Talon. He passed his love for paper books on to her and the two frequently scour the internet for hours trying to find books they think the other would enjoy. Tal was also her best friend. Which says something when you consider your brother your best friend, especially for Talya. She made friends easily, the exact opposite of her brother. Still, while she was outgoing and liked by everyone, she made it a point to choose her closest friends carefully. Only one other person besides Tal fell into that category. Her name was Rhylee Mayer. It was friend at first sight sort of thing when they both hit eight and were in the same class room together. When Talya wasn’t with Talon, she was with Rhylee.

EIGHT YEARS OLD

“Hey, Tal. Rhylee is having a slumber party tonight. Think I can go?” The look on her brother’s face told her no. Talya crossed her arms and harrumphed. Even at this early age, Talon liked her to be where he could see her. He was so protective. It wasn’t fair. All the other girls had normal families. Families with a dad and a mom and no bossy older brothers.

“I don’t think so,” he replies, all grown-up acting. Talya puts on her best glare, one she’s learned from her friends. Talon looks right back at her, not budging an inch.

“It’s not fair!” Saying the words out loud somehow makes her argument seem all the more valid. “All my homework is done. It’s the weekend. More chores are finished.” She counted off on her fingers as she listed her reasons for letting her go. “Plus, Mom’s working again. It’s boring here. I don’t want to play games or play on the iDevice. That’s all we do. It’s dumb. She emphasized the last word. Her brown eyes flashed. Her argument was getting her nowhere.

“I’m sorry, Tally, it’s just not gonna work. Besides, I was thinking we could try something new—“

“No! You always say that, Talon! And we never do. You know, you can’t tell me what to do.” Talon took a big breath.

“I promise, we’ll do something else, okay?”

“But—“

“I said no!” Talon never yelled. Of course, she’s seen him mad before but never at her. It surprises Talya and she bites her bottom lip to keep from crying.

“You can’t tell me no. You’re not my dad.” The last words she bites out but instantly regrets them, as much as a ten year old can regret. She knows the words are wrong. “I’m sorry, Tal. Sorry. I didn’t mean it. I’ll stay home. We can…” Her words trailed off when she saw the stricken look on his face, then his back as he walked away down the hall.

IT'S LIKE MOONBEAM BRUSHED ACROSS MY FACE

After the fight, Talon and Talya became even closer. She knew what she had said was wrong and Talon came to see things just a tiny bit different. Rhylee was Talya's best friend and with his sister's bubbly personality and easy manner, Talon grew to trust Rhylee and her family. Still, that's about as far as his trust went. Talya, naturally a free spirit, still resented the fact that Talon was so protective, even though in some part of her she didn't mind. Or maybe it was that she knew it helped him in some way. She could never really decide which it was, never really examined how they interacted. She loved him too much. He was all she had and she supposed it went the other way around too.

TWELVE YEARS OLD

“That's really good, Tal! I like it.” Talya gently closed the leather bound notebook Talon loved to jot his writings in. “Oh, by the way, Rhylee’s coming over tonight. We have a school project we need to work on. Hope you don’t mind,” she said with a smile. Tal nodded. “That’s fine. Hey, I wanted to talk to you about me going away in the fall.” She could feel his dark eyes boring into her as the smile slowly slipped off her face. “I need to know you’ll be okay.” She nodded slowly. “I will,” she murmured. “I know you have to go. It’s something you need to do.” Talya left out the part where she wouldn’t be okay. But Tal already had enough to worry about. So she left out the part that there was already a huge pit in her stomach. She left out the part that she already missed him with an ache she couldn’t explain. She left out the part that anytime she heard a sad or slow song, it now just made her think of him going away. She also left out the part that she was trying not to acknowledge the growing feeling of apprehensive excitement. What would it be like without her brother there? She didn’t know but all she could do was reassure him that she would be okay.

NIGHTS ARE GOOD AND THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE

Talya was okay when Tal left. It was hard, harder than she cared to admit, even now. Her mother of course was always gone, even when she knew her son was going to school at Colosseo. It wasn’t like he was light years away; really he could have come home whenever he wanted. But as soon Tal left, he got busy. He sort of found his niche. Talya loved hearing about the things he was doing. It was easy to communicate with the iDevices. Plus, Tally had Rhylee. They did everything together. And not just your average girly stuff. Sure, they loved to do each other’s nails and go shopping. But they were more about sneaking out and sitting on the roof at night, listening to music and looking at the stars, which were still a novelty to the young girls. Or going on walks that were so long that Rhylee’s parents always had to call her home. Or running to the other’s house for something as simple as a newfound song. It help eased the ache of Talon’s absence. Very simply put, Rhylee was like the sister Talya didn’t have, a kindred spirit. With her, everything came easier than normal, from school to social life. The two were the definition of social butterflies when they went into high school. The kind of girls who everyone wanted to be friends with even if they weren’t considered the most “popular”. And they made it a point to be kind to everyone they came in contact with. They made a rule to always go to social events together so that the other was never left out. Neither one was ever really focused on boys anyway, more focused on their friendship and good grades. Rhylee always knew she wanted to be an artist; she was amazing at all different types of art from drawing to painting to graphic designing. It wasn’t until she moved in with Talon two years ago after she graduated high school that Talya knew that she wanted to do something with the health sector.

CURRENT TIMES

“Tal. Tal! Talon! Hey, wake up. You’re having a bad dream.” Talya gently grasped her brother’s shoulder. He was having another nightmare, a regular occurrence that Talya was used to. She always went to him, woke him up when she could. Sometimes they would be so bad she would just have to wait on the edge of his bed until he woke himself up. Most of the time, she couldn’t understand what he was saying in his sleep. On nights like tonight her heart broke for him because he called for their father. After a few more moments of restlessness, Talon finally startled awake, sitting up stock straight and breathing hard. Talya kept her hand on his arm until his eyes focused and he was able to look at her. There were dark circles under his eyes and his brown hair was disheveled. He bowed his head and roughly brushed his hands through his hair and callously wiped the tears from his eyes. “Tal, I’m sorry,” she whispered, gathering her brother in a hug. It was in these moments that she felt like the older one. She was okay with that though. “It’s all right, you’ll be okay,” she murmured. It was the least she could do. In that moment, it dawned on her that she liked helping Talon, not just because he was her brother and she loved him dearly, but because she genuinely felt she had a purpose when helping others. Maybe this was her place in the world. Despite the situation, it warmed her heart and brought a smile to her face.

DID YOU SEE THAT SHOOTING START TONIGHT

And Talya Elizabeth Aquila enter stage left. Now she’s preparing to take classes at Colosseo in the fall for nursing. It’s something she can tell makes Talon a little nervous. But she knows, feels in the deepest part of her being that things will get better. And she plans on being there every step of the way.
PM EMAIL WWW AOL
^
TALYA AQUILA
 Posted: Jun 21 2015, 05:59 PM

Signaling all any and all moderators, this app is finished and ready to be reviewed for acceptance!
PM EMAIL WWW AOL
^
RAD
 Posted: Jun 21 2015, 10:45 PM

accepted application
Congratulations, you have been accepted to Between the Stars! Please remember to fill out the face claim, directory, and job claim. Also please keep in mind that you must post in one other persons shipper before posting up your own and that all replies must be replied back in the other persons shipper. Thank you and we hope you enjoy your stay!

I love her so much, she is absolutely perfect! She's so cute and she does so much for Tal. I'm really excited to see the two of them in action!

PM EMAIL
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS REPLY NEW TOPIC NEW POLL